The following procedure is in addition to what has been described under Autopsy Procedure:
- Scene visit should be carried out as indicated or at least assessment should be done on basis of SOCOs report and photographs provided by investigating police officer
- All scenes should be visited as far as possible with accompanying police.
- In the cases of hanging, measurements from ground to the hanging point (Suspension Point), height of the support to reach the suspension point, must be documented
- Scene must be examined for signs of violence and circumstantial evidences
- Scene visit/assessment is always educative to give clear opinion which saves precious time of medical and investigative personnel
- Photography should be taken before moving the body
- Examine for presence of salivary dribbling over:
- Ligature material must be described with special reference:
- Presence of cut ends
- Description of the knots (fixed/ slip knots)
- The ligature mark is a very important piece of evidence, as it may reproduces the pattern and dimensions of the ligature itself.
- Description of ligature mark (abraded contusion) with reference
- Parchmentized or non-parchmentized
- Complete/ incomplete- Encircled
- Peri ligature injuries
- Distribution of hypostasis must be described and interpreted in relation to the posture
- Comment on the presence of petechial hemorrhages, congestion of head and neck, sub-conjunctival hemorrhages of eye
- In case of female, external genitalia and peri-anal region must be examined for injuries. And swab must be be collected in all suspicious case of alleged hanging.
- Bloodless neck dissection is carried out after evisceration of brain and thoracic block and dissect the neck structures layer by layer to note soft tissue injury.
- Presence or absence of neck injuries (contusions, hematoma or fractures) should be noted over
- Soft tissue (platysma, neck muscles)
- Blood vessels
- Thyroid cartilage
- Hyoid bone
- Laryngeal cartilages
- Blood sample for toxicological analysis should be collected, where body found hanging, in suspicious circumstances